The inciting incident or “call to adventure” is the event that launches the main action of a story, whether you’re writing fiction or nonfiction.
When your inciting incident is powerful and upends the life of your protagonist, you have one of the key ingredients for a gripping and unforgettable story that your readers won’t be able to put down.
In this video, I share three rules for crafting powerful inciting incidents and also look at mistakes to avoid when writing this critical part of your story.
I hope you enjoy the video! It would be awesome if you could give it a thumbs up and leave a comment on YouTube. This helps me know you are enjoying these videos. Do you have any more tips for writing a gripping inciting incident?
Also make sure to subscribe to my channel if you haven’t already!
I’ve just started making YouTube videos and really appreciate your support. I hope the video inspires you with your writing. Thanks for watching!
- 📚 Complete Playlist of Story Structure Videos: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2…
- 📚 The Hero’s Journey (video): https://youtu.be/yYSTz1H6buc
- 📚 The Ordinary World (video): https://youtu.be/VM9l1McnPbo
- 📚 “Story” by Robert McKee: https://amzn.to/2OayIKC (Amazon affiliate link)
- 📚 My email newsletter, The Inkwell: https://nicolebianchi.com/newsletter/
Some of the above links might be affiliate links. Thank you for helping to support the blog!